Prompts For Creative Writing
Do you ever get stuck for a starting point when you want to write? There’s nothing more frustrating than not being able to find the end on a roll of sellotape, and it’s exactly the same when you’re looking for the starting point of your latest piece of writing. Well worry not, for today I’m bringing you some prompts for creative writing that are guaranteed to get your writer’s brain firing on all cylinders!
In case you weren’t sure, prompts are used by many writers and creatives, especially when the ideas just aren’t coming through naturally. They can come in many forms, visual or written, but a good set of prompts are almost always a useful secret weapon to have in your writer’s toolkit. The prompts I’ll be sharing today are short ideas that are designed to get you thinking and set you off on a new written adventure.
So if you’re in a writing mood today, feast your eyes on these creative writing prompts and please let me know if you’ve found any of them to be particularly helpful. You can check out my Pinterest board ‘Writing Prompts For Creative Inspiration’ for even more just like these too!
- You died in an accident but you’re still trapped on the mortal coil until you can find someone to help your spirit be free.
- One child inherits the power to cure all disease and you have to protect him.
- You’ve lived your life entirely blind, except for when you look into a mirror – what can you see through the glass?
- A runaway breaks into your house in the middle of the night, terrified. What does she want from you?
- You’re the leader of a tribe beginning an uprising against a vicious dictator. How are you going to raise an army?
- Falsley accused of a murder, you’re about to face execution. Is there time to save yourself?
- Invent a new month in the year and explain how it affects the world.
- An earthquake eradicates all technological systems and the world is plunged into darkness – how do you survive?
- You’re a cinema owner and every time a movie plays, the audience are turned into ghosts during the film.
- It’s winter every day where you live, and if you don’t find a way to generate warmth, a plague will erupt from the snow when it falls.
These are only a few very simple ideas to get you thinking about the short stories you could write today, but I’d love to hear any of yours too. Please let me know if you’ve had any inspiring thoughts based upon the prompts listed here or if you’ve got any other suggestions!
You can check out some of my other writing prompts over on my Instagram feed @actualwriting – I post on there regularly with lots of visual inspiration too, as sometimes using an art or image-based prompt can generate your ideas even further. Let me know how you get on with your writing over on Twitter too @actualwriting. Happy storytelling!
Writer, tweeter and illustrator. Starving artist and thrifting expert. Pen for hire and first-time author at work.